Friday, April 15, 2022

The Reluctant Bride by Monica Murphy

The Reluctant BrideMonica Murphy certainly intrigued and captured my attention in The Reluctant Bride because she finally brings to life one of the characters that I had been highly anticipating to read in the Midnight Dynasty series: Perry Constantine. We first met him in Skyscraper Cinderella and I remember loving how fun, kind, and protective he was. I find it incredible that the author was able to use these character traits of his and expand on it in his own book. Perry is exactly how I remembered and imagined him to be. Compared to other characters in the Midnight Dynasty world, Perry is much more charming, playful, protective, possessive of those he cares for, and has a slight edge of danger to him. His interactions with Charlotte Lancaster, his future wife, is both hilarious and exciting because they like to argue with and taunt each other. This is an opposites attract and “enemies to lovers” romance with an arranged marriage between the two.
“He has a way of looking at me, talking to me, as if no one matters. His attention is always one hundred percent for me. And no one else.”
My favorite part about this book would have to be the push and pull between Perry and Charlotte. Despite not wanting to marry each other, their relationship naturally progressed throughout the book into something more. The attraction was immediate and sparks flew whenever they argued. Unlike Winston Constantine, the oldest brother in the family, Perry is more relaxed and whimsical while trying to find his place in the world. Meeting Charlotte shifted something inside of him—one where he feels responsible for her because she needed him and no one had before. I find his personality to be the perfect match to Charlotte's prickly, shy, and wary nature. There is no denying that these two have incredible chemistry and their scenes together, especially the one after their wedding rehearsal, was built up beautifully.
“This woman looks at me as if I could be her savior. She needs me. I want to be there for her. I want to be her knight in shining armor.”
In the end, I'm excited to read more of Charlotte and Perry in The Ruthless Groom because what we got in this book has the potential for a spectacular couple and scorching hot story. I can't even say I was surprised by that cliffhanger ending—only that I wanted more. Charlotte's past is coming back to haunt her and it has a shocking relation to the Constantine's mortal enemy, the Morelli's. Without knowing how Perry will react to this revelation, Charlotte is shocked, afraid, but also hopeful and adamant that he will save her. I have been waiting so long for Perry's book and I simply loved what Monica Murphy has written so far for him. Even though I was unsure about Charlotte at first, she grew on me and Perry. He became protective of her and I loved how he became her knight in shining armor without realizing or wanting to in the first place. I highly recommend this book to those who have been looking forward to Perry Constantine's book because you will not be disappointed in this opposites attract romance between him and his sweet, quick-tempered, and reserved heroine.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment