Sunday, April 3, 2022

Obsession by Dani Wyatt and Nikolai Andrew

Obsession (Royally Hot #3)Obsession by Dani Wyatt and Nikolai Andrew is the third book in the Royally Hot series and can be read as a standalone since the characters have no connection to the other stories released thus far. I really enjoyed the author's take on erotic historical romance because I was quite invested in the plot, character development, and romance. Anika and Maksim are "step-siblings" but the reality is that they are not. Her mother married his uncle so there is some connection or relation between them. Anika does call Maksim her "brother" and he his "sister" so there is that taboo/forbidden element to the story. The attraction and sexual chemistry between these two was always present and palpable throughout the book. Even though Maksim treated Anika harshly and cruelly in front of others, he was also in love with her at the same time. Similarly, Anika was intensely attracted to Maksim but hated him because of his disdain towards her. The theme of love and hate being two sides of the same coin can be applied to their relationship.
"I hated her as much as I loved her. She stripped me of all my control, of all my sanity."
In addition to the romance, the plot played a significant role in the development of their relationship as Anika's mother and Maksim's uncle sought to control and marry her off to a neighboring country with Maksim going crazy because of it. All this time, he was treating her coldly and cruelly to keep her safe but it was all in vain. With this in mind, Maksim decides to claim Anika as his. At the same time, Anika is resolved to escape her predicament no matter the cost. The push and pull between Maksim and Anika had to be my favorite aspect of this book. When they finally decided to consummate their relationship, it was dirty, erotic, and incredibly sexy. Maksim had a darker side to him and he was ready to unleash it on Anika.
"I feared him. I loved him. I despised him. I needed him."
In the end, I really enjoyed this book and am now curious about the other books in this series. This was previously published as Royal Obsession and although I remember reading that book, it seems like this re-release has added additional story content and an epilogue—which I really enjoyed and appreciated. If you are looking for a spicy historical romance with a dirty talking hero who is obsessed with his heroine, I highly recommend this book. The love and hate they had for each other made for some sizzling scenes as they came to terms with their feelings for one another.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment