Monday, June 14, 2021

Strict Confidence by Skye Warren

Strict Confidence (Rochester Trilogy #2)Strict Confidence is the second book in the Rochester Trilogy and it immediately picks up where Private Property left off—with a raging fire and our main characters in dangerous peril. This book felt different from the first one because it felt more ominous and oppressive whereas it was previously haunting and melancholy. In my opinion, the house itself was a character. Skye Warren excels at capturing this atmosphere of "being chased or haunted by a ghost" throughout the book—similar to the events in Jane Eyre. Coach House has been reduced to ashes and someone is out to destroy all that Beau Rochester holds dear. While reading this book, I couldn't help but feel that Beau, Jane, and Paige were being pursued and hunted by something. It was quite chilling to be in the mindset of both Jane and Beau because they barely survived that fire.
"I want her, and it's not good for her. None of this is good for her. It's dangerous."
In addition to the mystery behind who burned down the Rochester's house and is trying to harm them, Jane and Beau's relationship burns hotter than ever. Skye Warren once again captures the angst, emotion, longing, and dark nature of their relationship. I definitely want more! Jane is perfect for Beau because she is innocent and submissive and he needs someone who can be his anchor to his turbulent emotions. However, the events in this book will test their relationship even further as they are being hunted by the mysterious arsonist and Joe Causey, Emily Rochester's brother. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time because I kept questioning who to trust and believe.
"People who love each other don't always end up together."
In the end, the story went off to a direction that surprised me and I can't wait to find out the conclusion to Jane and Beau's story in Best Kept Secret because this book also ends in another shocking cliffhanger. The truth has finally been revealed but what I'm most curious about is how? Either way, I adored Jane and I really like Beau even though I wanted to smack him for being an idiot at times. He kept hurting and loving Jane. Nevertheless, their relationship is also one of my favorite parts of this book as well as Paige. I adore their little family. Fans of Jane Eyre will love this adaption because Beau is a brooding hero who loves passionately and will do anything to protect Jane and his niece, Paige. I highly recommend this series!

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment