Monday, May 24, 2021

Fable of Happiness by Pepper Winters

Fable of Happiness (Fable, #1)Fable of Happiness is the first book in the Fable series by Pepper Winters and it is a dark and compelling story that almost feels hopeless at times because of how broken the characters are. The author has exceeded herself when it comes to writing this haunting tale that toes the line of dubious consent. Kassen is an incredibly complex character who is the definition of a tortured anti-hero. At first, it would seem as though he does not care for Gemma and wants to kill her—but there are indeed flashes of humanity and compassion within him. It's just locked deep inside himself and behind that layer of feralness. Gemma encompasses all of the characteristics and traits of Pepper's previous heroines. She is naive, compassionate, fearless, and seemingly broken after meeting Kassen but she is also very brave in the face of despair. She will do anything to survive, including having sex with him.
"I knew I was beautiful to him. I knew I was everything he wanted in that moment. I knew I had the power to shatter his world with just a single touch."
Pepper Winters has crafted a tale that will not only leave you on the edge of your seat but also make you question the lines between right and wrong. How can something so pleasurable make you feel so disgusted? Kassen is currently the "villain" in this story. At this moment in time, he does not have any redeemable qualities besides showing some semblance of kindness to Gemma here and there. He is a very mysterious character whose past is shrouded in mystery. What made him become this way? What happened to him? He does share similar characteristics to Pepper's past heroes including Jethro, Q, and Sully but... not. He is also uniquely different and much more cruel.
"She branded me better than any fire, any ember… it made me thirst. Made me hiss and smoke with violence."
In the end, this was a fascinating beginning to the Fable series and it ends with a shocking cliffhanger. It was really difficult for me to read this because my heart felt so heavy. My heart broke for Gemma because she made a stupid mistake and it cost her. However, it also brought her to Kassen—whether good or bad, we don't know at the moment. I don't know what will happen to these two but I am looking forward to how it will all end once Pepper finishes their tale. I'm currently kicking myself for not waiting until it's finished because I would have loved to immediately read the next book. This is definitely a Pepper Winters book and fans of hers will love this! It's dark, gritty, erotic, and action-packed. If you love the captive-kidnapper trope within the dark romance genre, then this book is for you!

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment