Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins is a funny and humorous book with a sudden twist that is entirely different from the norm of YA books. The story itself is about a teenage 'witch' named, Sophie Mercer, who gets into all kinds of trouble on her first day of school at the reformation school for the unnatural beings called Hecate Hall. I absolutely love how Sophie's character is so witty, sarcastic, and she's not afraid to say what she thinks without being straightforward. One her first day, she meets her crush, form three powerful enemies in the school, and ends up with a vampire who is the outcast of the school as her best friend and roommate. It's definitely a refreshing take from the normal paranormal books that I've read and I'm really loving it! Can't wait for the second installment of this series, Demon Glass.

As I've said, this book is funny and humorous but it also comes with a huge twist! I was absolutely shocked when I finished it and I'm dying to read more of what will happen to the girl named Sophie Mercer. I thought the romance between her and Archer Cross was rather cute and sad at the same time-- due to sudden development in the end. I do truly believe that he has feelings for her so I sure hope they'll somehow end up together in the end. But ah, yes. Every teenage angst book has to have a group to tortures the main heroine right? Well, in this book, you get exactly that! Hex Hall reminds me of Harry Potter meets Mean Girls who eventually meets Sabrina the Teenage Witch at the same time; it's so hilarious. But the main, MAIN villain of the story is a organization called The Eye that specializes in hunting down and wiping out the Prodigium (who are not normal beings like demons, witches, vampires, werewolves, faeries).

With that all said, I'm truly looking forward to the next book and I'm really curious as to where Sophie's adventure will lead. As for Archer, oh god. He is such a mysterious character that you can't help but fall in love with and hope that he and Sophie end up together. A big thumbs up to Rachel Hawkins because now, I'm instantly a fan! 5 out 5 stars for this lovely book.

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment