Monday, November 8, 2021

Dark Reign by Amelia Wilde

Dark ReignAmelia Wilde continues to captivate me with her writing style, world building, steamy romance, and interesting characters in Dark Reign. I was completed invested in Emerson LeBlanc and Daphne Morelli's twisted relationship. It also intertwines with Leo and Haley's own story, specifically Hidden Beauty. Although I felt a lot of time was spent going over Leo and Haley's tumultuous relationship with Daphne worrying on the side, the slow burn and unfolding romance between Emerson and Daphne also had me on the edge of my seat because he was exhibiting some extremely obsessive, possessive, and stalker-like behavior. Strangely, most of Emerson's internal dialogue felt romantic in a way because of how much power Daphne and her art had over him. He was slowly unraveling and losing control over his feelings for her, which I found quite fascinating.
"It won't be enough, nothing will be enough, until I have her."
Daphne might be my second favorite Amelia Wilde heroine because of her contrasting nature—she was both light and dark. Considering how overprotective Leo was, Daphne's internal struggles predominantly revolved around her independence as well as gaining financial and personal freedom from her family. Unfortunately, she might have left one cage for another. I was completely shocked by Emerson's character because he smashed my rose-colored glasses with regards to his feelings for Daphne. His obsession over her is complicated and multi-layered. He has his secrets and there is certainly more to Emerson than meets the eye. There's also no denying that Daphne and Emerson's chemistry was dark, palpable, sensual, and erotic. The tension was thick with every encounter. One of my favorite scenes with them was near the end and I don't think I can get over it because of how sexy, dirty, and shocking it was.
"No one has ever watched me with an intensity like this before. Like every breath I take is a monumental change."
In the end, I'm delighted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't wait for Sweet Mercy. Daphne and Emerson's story does end with a surprising cliffhanger that had me screaming for more. As you can tell, I'm really excited to read what Emerson has in store for Daphne and what she will do to fight back. Will their relationship break or evolve? If you love your heroes possessive, obsessive, jealous, and slightly sociopathic, then you will absolutely love Emerson LeBlanc. He will go through any lengths to obtain and acquire Daphne, no matter how wrong it may be. Fans of dark romance and Amelia Wilde will be thrilled over this book, especially if you love the handsome and morally ambiguous billionaire stalker who will steal his heroine because he simply cannot live without her trope.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment