Thursday, November 11, 2021

Midnight Days by Anna Zaires and Charmaine Pauls

Midnight Days (White Nights, #2)Midnight Days is the stunning conclusion to the White Nights duet series by Anna Zaires and Charmaine Pauls. As always, these two authors continue to captivate me with their writing, characters, and steamy love scenes. Katherine and Alex's story was angsty, frustrating at times, sexy as sin, and action-packed. This book was much "darker" in comparison to White Nights because Alex's obsession and desire to possess his Katerina is magnified and much more intense. The story takes place immediately after the events of the first book and it broke my heart to see how confused and betrayed Kate felt over Alex's actions. Kate is extremely independent and self-reliant so it was interesting to see how she dealt with her loss of freedom. On the flip side, we also get to see Alex's own confusion, frustration, determination and his need to protect Kate at all costs—even if she might hate him for clipping her wings.
“I want to bury myself so deep inside her that there will be no question as to whom she belongs.”
I loved the push and pull between Kate and Alex, even when it also frustrated me because I wanted them to communicate with each other better. Alex's actions in the first book had consequences and it left Kate feeling lost and powerless. There is no denying that there was a significant shift in the power dynamic of their relationship and Alex now had all of the control. He was extremely overprotective of Kate because she was his weakness and love of his life. I understood where they were both coming from because both of their lives were in danger and he was taking extreme measures for their safety. Although I wasn't as invested in the "action" or revenge part of the book, I was still surprised by the outcome because it freed Alex from his past. Kate also made some mistakes that almost cost them everything but her decision to forgive and love Alex also freed her as well.
“You make me forget where I am… You have that effect on me. Always have, since the first night.”
In the end, the White Night duet series was everything I wanted and more. I loved reading Alex and Kate's rollercoaster of a love story and was sad to see it end. Alex and Kate shared similar characteristics to some of my past favorite characters from Anna Zaires and Charmaine Pauls. I could see a little bit of Nikolai Molotv from Devil’s Lair and Maxime from Diamonds in the Dust in Alex Volkov. Kate Morrell also reminded me of Chloe Emmons, who is Nikolai's lady love, and Cassandra Joubert from Stolen Lust. There was a scene in the end that brought tears to my eyes because Alex finally showed Kate his white nights or midnight days. Alex fell in love with Kate because of her dedication and need to protect and save others—she was his angel. Fans of Anna Zaires and Charmaine Pauls will absolutely love this series, especially if you like reading about heroes who are extremely possessive and obsessive over their heroines and the opposites attract trope.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment