Sunday, May 29, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) While I do admit that the character development and the potential of the story that Cynthia Hand had woven in Unearthly was top-notch, the ending left me feeling reluctant, unsatisfied, and wanting more? Apparently that's supposed to be a good thing. I was left wanting to know more and what will eventually become of Clara and Tucker. When it came to Christian, I knew from the very beginning that there was something wrong with him. He was just too... perfect. Tucker Avery on the other hand, had felt more real and perfect for Clara. Their relationship was just very sweet and adorable. One character that I still have my suspicions on is Angela; it seems like she has a motive, but it could be me talking here. Overall, Unearthly was a story about love, finding ones' own identity, and defying destiny in order to be truly happy. I loved every single moment of it.

When I first started out reading this book, I was rooting for Christian and Clara due to the misleading summary on the side. I did not know of Tucker's existence until later on in the book. Contrast to Christian's perfectness, Tucker is far from perfect. I find it amusing that he happens to be the type of guy who teases and makes fun of the girl that he likes. How adorable yet so childish! While Clara was mooning over Christian... Tucker was always there on the sidelines watching her. But enough of that, this book actually has a story in it as well.

Clara Gardner happens to be one quarter Angel and this is her story of fulfilling her 'destiny' or purpose. Her visions consists of a forest fire in Wyoming and a boy that happens to be Christian. Mysterious isn't it? Throughout the entire book, she often has these visions and each time, it's slightly different because her every move in the present affects her future. I totally dig the idea. But her destiny dramatically changes when she meets Tucker Avery and gets to know and love him. This puts things is another whole level where she is eventually forced to choose between love or her destiny.

To sum it up, Unearthly is a great book that will have you on the edge of your seat when it comes to finding out which of the choices that Clara ends up choosing. I'm actually devastated to know that the next book, Hallowed will be released next year. Oh well! The world will still go on but yeah, this was such a great read that I wouldn't mind reading it again. 5/5 stars!

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment