Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Two For the Show by Skye Warren

Two for the ShowTwo for the Show by Skye Warren is the continuation of Finn Hughes and Eva Morelli's emotional and heartbreaking love story as they seek to understand and move forward with or without each other. This book surprised me because we're given a much better understanding of Finn's character and his internal struggles against the so-called "curse." I never realized how fatalistic he was—especially when it came to his future with Eva. Finn was so focused on what could potentially happen to him that he never considered living happily in the present. Despite wanting him to grovel for Eva's forgiveness, I couldn't even bring myself to fault him because he was so scared of forgetting everything. The fact that he witnessed his own father deteriorate mentally over the years only exacerbated his hopelessness. To this end, he broke Eva's heart by pushing her away only to find out that he had left his own heart and future with her.
"I never wanted to pretend. I wanted it to be real, and it couldn't be. My life is a sham that will end in more secrecy and shame. But damn it, she was real."
While I was emotionally invested in Finn and Eva's romance, I was also frustrated by it as well because I wanted them to better communicate with each other. Eva had every right to be upset with Finn because he broke her heart and left her with an unexpected surprise. However, she gave into him so easily. I wanted Finn to realize what he was missing and the life he could have had with Eva—and he did, but it took almost the entire book for him to come to terms with his love for her. Most of the book focused on Finn's internal struggle of loving Eva and wanting to push her away because she deserved someone better than him. Eva herself also goes through some character development as she comes to terms with her own pregnancy and potential future with Finn. I loved all of the character cameos and it was so heartwarming to see the close bond and relationship that Eva had with Leo Morelli.
"I don't give up on the people I love, even when it's hard. Even when it's awful. Even when it seems like there's no light at the end of the tunnel."
In the end, I enjoyed this book and will be looking forward to reading the conclusion to Eva and Finn's story. The cliffhanger ending was expected but still surprising nonetheless. I'm worried that Finn will go back to being an idiot and give up on his future but I know that Eva will never give up on him. Despite my irritation with Finn, reading about his personal struggles and feelings over dementia softened my heart towards him. Behind that charming, suave, and reckless persona lies a broken and fatalistic man. There is no denying that Eva is the perfect woman for Finn because she will always support and love him. Fans of the surprise pregnancy and fake relationship tropes will certainly love this sweet but heartbreaking trilogy featuring two prominent characters in the Midnight Dynasty universe.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment