Sunday, September 5, 2021

Net Worth by Amelia Wilde

Net WorthNet Worth by Amelia Wilde was my first read by this author and it was intensely erotic, sexual, riveting, and even frustrating at times. It left me on the edge of my seat. I was thoroughly impressed by Amelia's writing and ability to write such a fascinating character in Mason Hill. He was multi-dimensional and had so many layers to him. Although he is portrayed as a cruel and heartless man hell bent on revenge—especially when he is with Charlotte, Mason also has the potential and ability to be a caring and loving individual. At times, I wanted to smack him for being so mean and thoughtless to Charlotte when she had nothing to do with her father's actions. I was frustrated by their relationship because I wanted more from him and for her to fight back. There is no denying that these two have some combustible chemistry with each other.
"My want for her has burst like a diamond into a million cutting shards. Each one of them refracts things I can't want and can't have."
Charlotte Van Kempt is the foil to Mason's character and while I do have my own frustrations with her, she might prove to be formidable in the future. Only time will tell if she comes to her own conclusions about her own family's part in the destruction of Mason's family and forsakes her father for his crimes. Charlotte is the typical innocent heroine in the dark romance genre who gives up her dreams to save her family by selling herself to the hero. There's not really much to her character so far and I hope that will change in the future. Charlotte is conflicted by her feelings for Mason. There's fear and shame but also attraction and desire. The things that Mason does to her are debasing and cruel but she unexpectedly finds pleasure in it.
"A dark, twisted part of me likes the feel of his grip in my face. It's not right. In fact, it's very wrong. My body trembles with the contradiction."
In the end, I do have my conflicting feelings for these two because their relationship feels like I'm watching a train crash and can't do anything about it. There are so many complications and things in the way of their happily ever after. Regardless of what Mason and Charlotte wants, their family had history with each other and revenge plots never turn out well for the one pursuing it. Besides the romance, I am very curious about the story behind his parents' death and would like to see the perpetrator punished. Fans of dark romance and Amelia Wilde will absolutely love her newest release, especially if you like revenge plots, forced relationships, and a romantic relationship that is morally grey.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment