Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Heiress Gets a Duke by Harper St. George

The Heiress Gets a Duke (The Gilded Age Heiresses, #1)The Heiress Gets A Duke was my first book by Harper St. George and it certainly won't be my last! I was very impressed by her writing and characters, even when I wanted to yell at them. August and Evan's relationship reminded of Lisa Kleypas' Lillian and Marcus and Julia Quinn's Kate and Anthony. There were definitely similarities between those couples. August is fiercely independent and I loved how Evan was pursuing her instead of trapping her in a marriage that she did not want. It was a refreshing take on this trope! He was definitely the first one to fall in love with her.
"I would have one thing that is mine. I would choose my own wife. I choose you."
August Crenshaw and Evan Sterling were both fantastic characters in their own right. Whereas Evan was bound by duty to do right by his family and household, August was a working woman who thought she knew what she wanted. She simply never counted on falling in love with Evan. Their first meeting might actually be one of my favorites. Our first introduction to these two characters was during a boxing match with an unexpected kiss. They didn't know each other then and yet that one kiss was unforgettable for the both of them.
"He wanted to win her on his own merit. He wanted her to choose him. And, more importantly, he did not want to hurt her."
However, there were also bumps in their relationship. While Evan went out of way to chase August and prove to her that he wanted her, regardless of her money, August always thought the worst of Evan and called him a fortune hunter. What infuriated me was her parents' lack of understand and compassion for their daughters. August and Violet Crenshaw were merely pawns in their drive to further their status in society when their daughters always thought otherwise. Her parents were forcing her to marry Evan, which placed a stained on their relationship. This drama drives most of the story until August and Evan were able to resolve their issues and realize their love for each other.
"I don't need a shield."
"How thoughtless of me." A smile curved his lips, and he pressed a kiss to her mouth. "You need someone to fight beside you."
In the end, I enjoyed this book so much and I absolutely can't wait to read Violet Crenshaw and Christian Halston/Earl of Leigh's story in The Devil and the Heiress. We were able to get a taste of their relationship in this book and it's going to be another winner. I know there will be more books coming for this series including Leigh's brother Jacob Thorne and August's older brother Matthew Crenshaw. I only wish we got an epilogue because I would have loved to read about Evan and August's wedding. I highly recommend this book to those who love reading slow burn romances between an American dollar princess and a charming English Lord.

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment