Monday, January 18, 2021

Follow Me Under by Helen Hardt

Follow Me UnderFollow Me Under picks up immediately right after the first book. Skye Manning is in love with Braden Black and everything is going well for her... until it's not. I love Helen Hardt's writing and I am still invested in Skye and Braden's story but this felt like a step back from Follow Me Darkly. Skye found sexual freedom in that book but she unintentionally loses herself and her identity while trying to appease Braden's darker nature in this installment. It was frustrating and really sad to watch the story unfold as this young woman who was relatively content with her life begin to doubt herself.
“Deep down, I know the truth. No one cares what Skye Manning thinks. People only care what Braden Black’s girlfriend thinks. I’m losing myself. I’m selling my soul for an influencing career... I’m not sure who I am anymore.”
This idea of trust between Skye and Braden was constantly mentioned time and time again but it felt very one-sided. Braden kept asking Skye to trust him but kept a part of himself from her. She was supposed to give up all of her control not only in the bedroom and outside of it but blindly trust him as well. This did not feel like a mutual trusting relationship to me.
“Are you ready, Skye? To follow me under. To the darkest side of my fantasies?”
Braden continues to be extremely secretive and mysterious. At first, I was attracted to him because of it but it frustrated me over time. I begin to doubt their love as well. The sexual relationship between Braden and Skye is hotter than ever but it loses its magic as Skye begins to question herself and Braden starts to demand absolute control in all aspects of her life.

In the end, even though Follow Me Under was not as compelling to me as the first book, I am still looking forward to reading the conclusion of Skye and Braden's story. The books ends in slight cliffhanger with their relationship in potential turmoil. Skye has becoming accepting of Braden's darker side and his preference for bondage but it comes at a cost. With her losing herself and potentially her best friend Tessa, Skye is about to lose her heart as well. I would recommend this series to those who love Fifty Shades of Gray.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment