Monday, February 8, 2021

Scoundrel of My Heart by Lorraine Heath

Scoundrel of My Heart (Once Upon a Dukedom, #1)Scoundrel of My Heart is Lorraine Heath's latest book and I couldn't be more excited to read it because it features Lord Griffith Stanwick and Lady Kathryn, side characters who were briefly introduced in Beauty Tempts the Beast. Griffith was Althea's older brother and Kathryn was one of her closest friends. Unexpectedly, this book takes us back before the Stanwick's fall from grace and lost everything. I have been intrigued by these two characters ever since I met them in Althea's book. Griffith was always distracted, nostalgic for what could have been, and filled with a sense of urgency to redeem his family. I couldn't help but be captivated by him. With that little glimpse, I was really glad to see that Lorraine Heath was writing a book for him.

Usually, I don't like the "best friend brother and sister's friend" trope but Griffith and Kathryn made it work and they have known each other since they were young. I find it incredibly amusing that he calls her Freckles and is enamored with her red hair. This part of the book felt "normal" but the story soon shifts to one that is dark, tragic, and angsty. It's been a long time since I read a Lorraine Heath book but she excels at writing these types of heartbreaking "enemies-to-lovers" stories. Griffith and Kathryn's love story was actually quite romantic and even frustrating at times, especially when Griffith laments on how he is the spare.

The main crux of this entire story is that Kathryn needs to marry well in order to claim her inheritance. We're introduced to this "Bachelor-esque" Duke of Kingsland who is looking for a wife and Kathryn endeavors Griffith to help her, even at the cost of his own heart. I thought this was incredibly romantic, especially considering what happened to his family and how he feels like he isn't worthy of her. Although Griffith transformation in less than a year was questionable, I still enjoyed his growth. I liked that Kathryn was given a choice to continue her pursuit with the duke or be with Griffith. In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it those who like stories that are emotional and with a hero who will gladly sacrifice himself for his heroine. I look forward to reading the Duke of Kingsland's book next as well as Griffith and Althea's older brother Marcus.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment