Monday, August 31, 2020

Once a Myth by Pepper Winters

Once a Myth (Goddess Isles, #1)I've been wanting to read this series for the longest time but I wanted to wait until all of the books were released first. For some reason, I just can't stop thinking about Once a Myth. There is something very special and unique about this series but since I'm only in the beginning, I'll have to come back to this later. I have a hate and lust relationship with Sully Sinclair, just like Eleanor. He is so mysterious and contradicting, not to mention sexy as hell. I don't think he's necessarily evil, but what he's doing (buying girls and enslaving them in Euphoria) goes against all human logic and morals.

I absolutely love Eleanor Grace. She is a combination of all of Pepper Winter's heroines and I really like the way she thinks... almost as if she's waiting for the perfect chance to strike her victim. She is strong, courageous, quiet, and full of hope. I hate what Sully is doing to her but I am also intrigued by what's happening between them. Another character that intrigued me would have to be Jess, also known as Jealousy. I'm so curious about her that I want Pepper to write a book about her. Maybe she could end up with Sully's closest friend, Cal. Who knows!

Once a Myth starts off with Eleanor already kidnapped and speaking to Tess Snow, the heroine of the Monsters in the Dark series. It's a quick glimpse of the past when Eleanor first met Tess before she is transferred to Q. Eleanor eventually meets the mastermind behind her kidnapping but is quickly transferred to Sully's Goddess Isles where she becomes one of his unwilling goddesses. I have to say, Eleanor and Sully do have some scorching hot chemistry. There is constant tension between these two and Sully is almost always on the verge of snapping out of control. It's very interesting because according to him, this has never happened before. He never wanted to mix business with pleasure because these "goddesses" are merely considered "goods" to him. Yes, he is not a good man. At times, I wanted to strangle and slap him.

I wouldn't say this is the "darkest" book Pepper has ever written but since it deals with human trafficking, it's certainly in that category. This book ends in a rather horrifying cliffhanger but since the entire series has been released, I have already started Twice a Wish. I'm not exactly sure what happened because Sully has forced Eleanor, also known as Jinx, to participate in Euphoria. Did she really have sex with the other man or was it Sully himself? I still don't know the answer to this question but I can't wait to find out.

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment