Saturday, October 15, 2022

Scarred by Vanessa Vale & Helen Hardt

Scarred (The Billion Heirs #1)Scarred by Vanessa Vale and Helen Hardt is the first book in a brand new series called The Billion Heirs where secrets, lies, and inheritance dominates the story of the remaining Bridger family members as they are forced to reside in the small town of Bayfield, Montana. With the death of their father and other forces at play, half-brothers Austin, Miles, and Chance must reunite and come to terms with the secrets and consequences of their lineage. I thoroughly enjoyed Austin and Carly's story as they were both likeable characters and had their own problems to overcome. Although Austin is struggling to keep afloat with his sick mother and declining business, his perseverance, protective nature, and determination to see things through made him a worthy hero. Carly was a victim of a horrific kidnapping that scarred her physically and emotionally but her courage to move on and be normal made her an admirable heroine.
"But when Austin Bridger looks at me, I don't feel scarred. I don't feel like… less than whole. I don't feel damaged. I feel like the most beautiful woman in the world."
Austin Bridger and Carly Vance's story was romantic, refreshing, and shocking at times because of many secrets between both families. Prior to staying in Montana, Austin owned a sea piloting business and lived in Seattle with his mother. After finding out about his inheritance, he reluctantly left to the Bridger ranch in Montana and finds love unexpectedly with Carly who is trying to heal and resume the life she had before her abduction. I was actually quite surprised by the chemistry and sexual tension between Austin and Carly. I did not expect Austin to be such a dirty talker but he was exactly what Carly needed and I loved that for her. She did not want to think of herself as broken. While everyone in town was careful around her, Austin was the only one who made her feel normal, feminine, and desirable again.
"Maybe I didn't dodge it after all. It sure feels like a bullet is lodged right in the center of my heart—in the shape of Carly Vance."
In the end, this was a strong introduction to the Bridger family and I look forward to reading Miles and Chance's stories next. Austin never expected to find love with Carly nor a strong brotherly bond his with half-brothers but he did. Despite their differences, they all hated their father. Their mutual dislike for Jonathan Bridger and desire to make things right with Carly's father brought them together. I also loved the fact that Carly didn't need Austin to fix her because she wanted to do it herself. Despite her horrible past, Carly wanted to feel desired and loved—and she eventually found that with Austin. This was my first time reading Vanessa Vale and I was impressed with her writing. I already know and am a fan of Helen Hardt so the steamy love scenes was no surprise to me. Fans of the small town and billionaire romance will enjoy this book as a features a sweet and protective hero who adores his independent heroine as she overcomes her own trauma.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*
 
Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment