Sunday, July 3, 2022

Queen of Hearts by Alta Hensley

Queen of Hearts (Wonderland, #2)Queen of Hearts is the latest installment in the Wonderland trilogy by Alta Hensley and it exceeded my expectations in terms of character growth, romance, and steaminess. Nick and Lyriope had incredible sexual chemistry and I was not disappointed when they finally took the next step in their relationship. This book immediately picks up where King of Spades last left off, which means that Lyriope has decided to run away from Nick. What ensues is a game of cat and mouse as Nick obsessively stalks Lyriope to Italy and claims her once and for all. Although the plot of the story remains stagnant for much of the book, Nick and Lyriope experience tremendous development as characters and in their own relationship with each other—especially since feelings are now finally involved. In addition to their developing romance, the smut scenes between Nick and Lyriope were incredibly hot, dirty, and even heartbreaking at times. I loved every single scene.
"You belong to me, Lyriope. Not on paper. Not because of an agreement. You belong to me the same way I belong to you."
The story begins with the consequences of Lyriope's decision to run away as Nick is astonished and infuriated over her disappearance. He vows to find Lyriope and punish her for her actions. Lyriope eventually arrives in Italy as her cousin, Sasha Morelli, and immediately regrets her decision. She is afraid and knows that Nick will find her soon—and she is correct. I was honestly quite amused over how fast Nick was able to find Lyriope because she really didn't think this through at all. However, their reunion was everything I expected and more because what transpired between the two had me on the edge of my seat. Nick is just the right amount of cruel and sadistic for Lyriope as he attempts to make her "pay" for leaving him. Despite her innocence, Lyriope knows exactly what and who she wants because meeting Nick has allowed her to blossom not only emotionally but sexually as well.
"This isn't a love story I'm in. I feel like I'm suffocating, but I also have never felt so alive."
In the end, I simply devoured this book and cannot wait to read Ace of Diamonds because the book ends with a heartbreaking cliffhanger. Betrayal, revenge, and redemption will most likely be the main themes for the final book in the Wonderland trilogy as Nick desperately tries to reclaim Lyriope no matter the cost. Lyriope and Nick have finally acknowledged their feelings for each other but unfortunately, there was a major cost. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about Lyriope and Nick but this book changed everything for me. Furthermore, Lyriope went from this insecure and naive young woman to someone who is willing to finally take control of her destiny and lineage. Nick went from this mysterious and cruel character with the wicked smiles to be someone who had been merely surviving until he met Lyriope and she allowed him to feel once and for all. I recommend this book to those who like reading the dark billionaire romance trope with an anti-hero who considers himself the villain in this story and does everything in his power to keep his heroine.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment