Monday, January 17, 2022

Sweet Mercy by Amelia Wilde

Sweet MercySweet Mercy solidified Amelia Wilde's standing as one of my favorite dark romance authors because of her beautiful and poetic prose. This book left a deep impression on me because it exemplified how love and obsession can become one and the same. Now that's how I would describe Daphne Morelli and Emerson LeBlanc's twisted, intense, and sensual romance. Emerson is one Amelia's most fascinating and multifaceted hero because of the many complicated layers he has beneath that carefully constructed persona. As his foil, Daphne is similarly complicated and a contradiction herself. She longs for freedom but feels safe, desired, and even loved with Emerson. There is no denying the fact that these two are made for each other. Emerson's obsession with Daphne was the main focal point in Dark Reign but it slowly transforms into one of need and love as they navigate their new relationship where she is his most treasured and beautiful piece of art.
"You're a work of art. My favorite piece. I'll remember it forever."
To say that I was surprised by the outcome of Daphne and Emerson's relationship would be an understatement. I knew that their story was going to be different. Daphne has always wanted to be independent but she ironically ends up finding freedom in Emerson as his "captive." There is both light and dark in Daphne and the author does an incredible job portraying this aspect of her character whenever she is with Emerson. I loved their dynamic and I am happy to say that Daphne and Emerson's romance was all-encompassing, angsty, kinky, dirty, and very steamy. However, I do have to admit that I was somewhat bothered by one particular scene between these two because it involved exhibitionism. I initially thought it was out of character for them but I eventually understood why they needed it. After all, Daphne is Emerson's most precious piece of art.
"Art is everything to him. But I am more than everything. It's the thinnest layer of paint over his heart."
In the end, Sweet Mercy simply exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to read Last Resort because the book does end with a cliffhanger. I had been highly anticipating Leo Morelli's appearance and he did not disappoint. Daphne and Emerson's twisted relationship had me on the edge of my seat and it continued to captivate me from start to finish. As Daphne begins to unravel the many layers and secrets behind Emerson, she finds exactly what she has always wanted all along—a love like no other. Emerson may be broken but Daphne has the ability to make him whole again. Fans of Amelia Wilde and the Midnight Dynasty world will absolutely love this book because it continues along the same vein as Leo's story—sexy, romantic, heartbreaking, and dark. I highly recommend this series to those who love the captive romance trope with a hero who is completely obsessed with his heroine but loves her enough to let her go.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment