Saturday, October 2, 2021

Fable of Happiness: Book Three by Pepper Winters

Fable of Happiness (Fable, #3)Fable of Happiness: Book Three by Pepper Winters is the third and final book featuring Kassen and Gemma as the main couple. I wish I could say I enjoyed Kassen and Gem's story but in the end, I was not invested in the characters as much as I wanted to be. However, Pepper Winters has done a fantastic job building the atmosphere, mood, and mystery behind Kassen and his story of redemption as well as the Fable manor. The writing and world-building is still impeccable as always but I do believe my issues stem from my own disconnection with the characters. Kas and Gem would have never met if it wasn't for the consequences of the first book but that decision also led them to find a love that was worth fighting for in the end.
“You shouldn’t have to carry that sort of weight, knowing the man who’s in love with you isn’t stable enough to survive without you.”
Kassen's haunting and traumatic past will break your heart while Gemma's compassion and kindness for him, despite everything that has happened her, will have you rooting for them. Kassen, who initially believed his life to be worthless, will find meaning in it once again. The decision to bring Kas to the "real" world left me quite conflicted because I don't believe that was the best decision for him. To bring an individual whose mind has been broken and was a victim of abuse to an entirely new environment will cause a lot of anxiety and issues. Nevertheless, Kassen was able to cope with his demons and struggles with Gem by his side.
“Kindness and kisses might’ve destroyed me, but she... she might finally set me free.”
In the end, I enjoyed reading Gemma and Kassen's story even though they were not my favorite couple from Pepper Winters. This series focused more on the physical and emotional turmoil of its main characters instead of the romance. That isn't to say there wasn't any romance between Gem and Kas but it definitely was part of the journey instead of the main focus. I'm not sure if Pepper Winters will continue this series but she left it open to more in the future. If you are looking for a dark romance with an extremely emotional journey for its main characters, then I recommend giving this series a read. Kas and Gemma's romance is unconventional because the author flips the captive and captor trope that most of us are used to reading about.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment