Friday, July 16, 2021

Cruel Dynasty by Geneva Lee

Cruel Dynasty (The Dynasties #2)Cruel Dynasty is the second book in The Dynasties trilogy by Geneva Lee and it was a heartbreaking and shocking one, especially after that explosive twist ending. The story immediately picks up after London Dynasty and Kate/Kerrigan is still conflicted over her growing feelings for both Spencer and Holden. There were a lot of revelations in this book and I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer Kerrigan to be with Holden instead of Spencer. I've always had, ever since their "first" meeting together. The mystery behind Kerrigan's disappearance finally gets revealed and it shocked me. I had my suspicions throughout the book and it all came to a head in the end. The subtle messages, panic attacks, feelings of deja vu. It all starts to make sense once you put everything together.
"I could never settle for a scrap of you. I want all of you. I always will."
Both Spencer and Holden's "true" personalities are also revealed in this book and I have my own personal opinions about them. As the heir of the Byrd family, Spencer comes off as extremely arrogant, conceited, and manipulative. On the other hand, Holden hides behind a devil-may-care and player attitude who actually masks a lonely, broken, and romantic soul. I was pleasantly surprised by him. To learn that he is someone who loves deeply and possessively but sees Kate/Kerrigan for who she is made me want them to end up together! I typically don't read books with love triangles but it's always been clear to me who Kate/Kerrigan should end up with.
"Kerrigan's not coming back, and even if she did… she wouldn't be my Kerrigan anymore.
In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed Cruel Dynasty and I can't wait for the conclusion of this story in Secret Dynasty. At the heart of this tale is the mystery behind the original Kerrigan's disappearance. She was known to be fearless and lived like she was on borrowed time. She was so different from Kate. After that cliffhanger ending, I'm anxious to know what Kate/Kerrigan will do next. When everything you know is a lie, it can be traumatic. What makes it even more heartbreaking is that Kate didn't even need to attract Spencer's attention in the first place. Fans of Geneva Lee will love her newest series because not only does it have a steamy and heartbreaking romance but there are so many twists and turns as well. You'll definitely be torn over who Kerrigan should end up with!

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment