Sunday, October 4, 2020

Pyromancist by Charmaine Pauls

Pyromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #1)I've been a fan of Charmaine Pauls ever since I read her Diamonds Are Forever series and the Loan Shark duet. There is something very magical about her writing and it somehow always manages to tug at my heartstrings. Pyromancist was no different. This is the new and updated version with additional scenes. I've actually never read the original but according to Charmaine, this one is a bit darker. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It's a very interesting take on paranormal romance and the romance was exceptional as always. Clelia and Joss are both unique characters and they have a past connection with each other. I do have to admit that I was slow to get into the story but was definitely interested when the romance kicked in. I'm glad that this was the main star of this book.
"He was more than a dream. He was the very thread with which she'd woven her soul. Cutting it would mean letting everything she was unravel."
Pyromancist was written in third person, which was very surprising to me but it was done extremely well and I could feel what Clelia and Joss were going through. I love angst and this book definitely had plenty! The story is set in France and partially South Africa. Clelia has been in unrequited love with Joss since she was a teenager but when tragedy struck Joss' family, he left and didn't come back until much later. I was moved by how she was still in love with him and subsequently started to feel disillusioned by her love for Joss because of how much he had changed. Clelia made a shocking decision that would forever connect her with Joss and that is how their story and romance began.
"You belong to me. You're mine. I am keeping you forever... It'll be easier if you hold onto that love you've harbored for me for so long."
Joss similarly made some decisions that had me itching to slap him in the head. I never thought he would take it that far but he did. His possessiveness and obsession with Clelia was exhilarating but also frustrating because he kept going back and forth between right and wrong, black and white. I had whiplash because he was so fixated on "taking responsibility" and protecting Clelia but he also wanted to own her as well. Sound familiar? Heh. Honestly though, the romance was exceptional and I really did love the push and pull between Clelia and Joss. Overall, there was action, romance, mystery, angst, and sexy -- all of the elements that I love in a book! I highly recommend this to those who are looking for a unique spin on paranormal romance with a cast of interesting characters and a romance that will break your heart and keep you thinking about them long after it's finished.

*This ARC was generously provided by Charmaine Pauls for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment