Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Diamonds in the Dust by Charmaine Pauls

Diamonds in the Dust (Diamonds are Forever Trilogy, #1)This one surprised me. I ended up changing my rating because it's a really good book for a trope that has already been said and done. Diamonds in the Dust is a book that I have been wanting to read for awhile but I've been waiting for the trilogy to be complete. Yes, it's partially a mafia romance but not really. It's more along the lines of a romance where the heroine unwillingly falls in love with her kidnapper despite hating him. I love Zoe Hart so much. She is all that is pure, good, and sweet in the world but she also has a core of steel. I hate that she has been placed in this difficult situation. No one deserves happiness more than Zoe. As for Maxime, I am conflicted by his character. He is cruel and heartless at times but also incredibly sweet, possessive, and caring towards Zoe in others. He wants what is "best for her," or so he says. He is a contradiction. The fact that he calls Zoe his little flower makes me melt a little. *slaps self* Yeah, there must be something wrong with me too.
“My own Daisy, in a vase on my table. I didn’t steal it from someone’s garden. It was growing wild on the pavement, right there for the taking.”
I am aware that Maxime is not a good person but he is a contradiction and keeps readers on edge. There is something redeemable about him but like I said before, he can be cruel and manipulative at times. His family is also awful and likes to play mind games. His brother Alexis might be the worst of all. There are several side characters that I am keeping an eye on in this trilogy and the other potential awful character might be Maxime's ex-lover, Francine, who happens to be his cook. Oh man. The story is closely connected to Damian's story, Beauty in the Broken. While I haven't read that book yet, I am intrigued. Maxime has decided to kidnap Zoe because he wants to essentially blackmail Damian into keeping their business in the diamond mines. It's a little bit complicated but the mysterious Italian deal makes me nervous for Zoe.
“My pain shines like precious stones in the dusty bed of a river. My feelings are discarded like diamonds in the dust. Wasted.”
In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be quickly reading the second installment as soon as possible. That cliffhanger ending was shocking. Diamonds in the Dust was sexy, romantic at times, heartbreaking, and intriguing. My emotions were all over the place when it came to Zoe and Maxime. I both hate and love them as a couple. Part of me wants Zoe to escape and never look back. I'm afraid that things will only get worse for her.

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment