Friday, January 13, 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) A story about love, murder, lies, secrets onboard a spaceship called Godspeed travelling to a unknown planet and future. Across the Universe by Beth Revis is defined by all the traits and more. It's a story about a group of people who plan to travel to a new world in order to build a better place; as a result, they’re frozen in time until the ship arrives there. The ship was planned to arrive in the new planet around 300 years into the future, but unexpectantly, Amy (our heroine) wakes up 50 years later trapped in a world that she doesn’t recognize and ruled by a disturbing system with an evil dictator. There, she also meets Elder (our hero) who pretty much falls from her ever since he set his eyes on Amy.

At first, I was quite wary of starting this book because in a lot of the reviews that I've read, many have said that it was 'sleep inducing.' While I do admit that the beginning started off really slow, the story soon picks up when Amy wakes up for the first time ever since she was frozen 250 years back. Amy is then thrown into a world where she doesn't really recognize as her own. Everything is so different... and we find out the reason as to who was behind it towards the end of the book. Thinking about it now still makes me shudder. How can... they stand it? It would be like living but trapped inside a cage until who knows when you'll arrive on the new planet. And as a reader, I also felt trapped like Amy and wonder like Elder because there are two point of views in this book.

All I can say is, the ending pretty much shocked me to the core. While other readers might say that this book was pretty predictable, I never really suspected that from Elder. Orion had always felt suspicious to me and it was quite obvious that Eldest was also evil as well. Overall, this was a great debut book for author Beth Revis! I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to tackle the sequel, A Million Suns soon!

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment