Sunday, August 14, 2022

Under by Helen Hardt

Under (Follow Me Book 5)Under by Helen Hardt continues Braden Black's perspective in the Follow Me series following his own book, Darkly. I would not recommend reading the series out of order because you will be missing out on a chunk of the story, character progression, and romance between the two main characters. I have to admit that I had mixed feelings starting this book because of my last experience with Braden and Skye in Follow Me Always. However, I wanted to know what Braden was thinking because I remember being incredibly frustrated with him in Follow Me Under. He kept asking for Skye's trust but refused to talk about his past and even gave her an ultimatum—let it go or lose him forever. I like that we're given more insight as to why Braden hated talking about his past with Addison and wanted to move on. He was in love with Skye but she was too curious for her own good.
"I want Skye's trust. I want Skye's safety. I want Skye's love."
There is no denying the fact that Braden and Skye's relationship has always been explosive and they continue to burn up the pages in this latest installment. Nevertheless, this couple has always been a rollercoaster of emotions for me because of the way they covet and need control. It was like watching two sides fight each other for dominance, which left me frustrated because he expected so much from the woman he loves but was not willing to give parts of himself to her. I thought it was also interesting that even though he wanted to shower her with love and care for her, Braden would often steel himself from doing so because of his own insecurities and wanting to control everything. It did help soften my feelings towards him because I initially thought he was so cruel to Skye in her own book.
"I love pleasing this woman. I love everything about her. Will she ever understand how truly beautiful she is?"
In the end, this book was a fascinating revelation behind the mystery and man that is Braden Black. He is certainly more than meets the eye and I liked seeing that he had his own internal struggles to contend with. I initially doubted his love for Skye but it seems like he loved her more than I thought and thought she was so beautiful despite her thinking otherwise. She constantly tested his control and made him so angry but he still wanted to be with her. I am very happy and appreciative of the fact that Helen Hardt has decided to give us Braden's perspective in his story with Skye because I would have always wondered what he was thinking during their tumultuous relationship. I recommend this book to those who like reading the dark billionaire romance trope with a possessive and controlling hero who struggles to love his sweet and curious heroine.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment