Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Second Chance Rival by M. Robinson

Second Chance Rival (Second Chance, #5)I was pleasantly surprised by this book because it features a second chance love story between two characters who were always meant to be together—they just had a lot of issues and interferences along the way. Second Chance Rival by M. Robinson was my first introduction to this series and it won't be my last because I am now very curious about the other books. However, this can be read as a standalone, so I was really happy about that. The story begins with an arranged marriage between Tristian Hawkins and Belle Montgomery. Tristian broke Belle's heart when they were younger and what made this truly ironic was that the two families have had a long-lasting rivalry. In addition, Tristian and Belle's grandfathers also drove a wedge between them and kept them from each other for two decades. And now, Belle and Tristian are forced to marry and produce a baby if they want to be the heirs of their own respective companies.
"I wanted to capture this moment and hold onto it for as long as I could. I wanted to remember her just like this. For me. Mine."
As the story flips back and forth between the past and present, Belle and Tristian are forced to contend with their relationship and the reasons behind his "betrayal." I enjoyed uncovering what Tristian kept from Belle and why their relationship fell apart when they were teenagers. I was surprised by the steamy love scenes and dirty talk from the hero. These two burned up the pages with their sexual chemistry and I couldn't get enough of it. I also loved how romantic and devoted Tristian was to his "kitten." He never stopped loving her and even kept tabs on Belle as she became a dominating force in her company. Although Belle frustrated me at times because she was constantly doubting Tristian, I could not blame her for thinking that way. He broke her heart and never explained why. Thankfully, their misunderstandings were resolved in the end.
"I don't know how to forgive you, love you. I'm my own worst enemy, and all I want is to know the truth."
In the end, I really enjoyed Tristian and Belle's story because they initially started off as rivals at the beginning of the book but through many flashbacks, we're given a much broader picture of what happened and why their love fell apart when they were younger. Much of the conflict revolves around Belle and Tristian forgiving each other and coming to terms with what happened in the past. I look forward to reading about Paige, Belle's executive assistant, and Tristian's friend Adrian Drake next. It seems like they also have history together and it might be one of those enemies-to-lovers stories. I recommend this book to those who like the arranged marriage and second chance romance tropes with a dirty-talking and possessive hero who never fell out of love with his stubborn and emotionally vulnerable heroine.

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment