Monday, March 1, 2021

Private Property by Skye Warren

Private Property (Rochester Trilogy, #1)Private Property is Skye Warren's first book in the Rochester Trilogy and it's absolutely brilliant and unique. What happens when you have a book inspired by Jane Eyre with the words and story-telling of Skye Warren? You get an incredibly sexy and forbidden romance between two characters who are different but compatible in so many ways. I don't think I've read a nanny and billionaire romance before so this was definitely something new for me! What I found most unique about this book was the atmosphere—there is a melancholy and gloomy mood that is constantly being pressed on the reader throughout the story. It was a really interesting feeling and made the story more compelling to me.
"You're too innocent for the things I want to do to you."
The story starts off with Jane Mendoza accepting a year long contract to care for a young girl who is living with her uncle in Maine. Jane's background story brought tears to my eyes because even though she is considered a woman, she is still so young and innocent in many ways. Originally from Texas, Jane is an orphan. Her mother died from an overdose and her father from a heart attack, which left her with no parents and a stable home from an early age. Despite her experiences, especially with the challenges of moving home to home, Jane is still innocent and has a spine of steel.
"You're always sad. And the worst part is, I want to make you happy. I promised myself I'd never go down this road again."
In comparison, Beau Rochester is much older and worldlier than Jane but they're both alike in ways that make them compatible with each other. Beau has many secrets and like Jane, we start to unravel them one by one. Beau comes off as really mean and crude but he loves very deeply. His interactions with Jane were explosive and both can't get enough of each other. In addition to Beau, Jane spends most of her time with Paige Rochester—Beau's niece. Both are grieving in their own ways. Paige for the loss of her parents while Beau his brother and sister-in-law. However, things are not always what they seem. The book ends in a shocking cliffhanger that will have you wanting more.

In the end, I thought this was an excellent introduction to the Rochester trilogy and I absolutely can't wait for Strict Confidence in May. The book starts off slow but it soon picks up once Beau takes the first step towards Jane. Their sexual chemistry is on fire and I loved all of their interactions. Beau still has so many secrets but we do know one thing. There is a sense of perilous danger, one where Paige and maybe even Beau are not safe. The death surrounding Rhys and Emily (Paige's parents) is still unclear. If you love a Jane Eyre inspired book that is both sexy and dark, I highly recommend this book!

*This ARC was generously provided by the author and publisher for an honest review*

Rating: ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment