Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) I have a devastating love for this series. I mean, look at my icon! It features Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen in the upcoming movie for this book. But anyway, I'm digressing. When I first read this book, I was reluctant to like it because books about dystopian communities has never been my kind of thing... but woah! Suzanne Collins literally blew me away when Katniss finally enters the stadium to compete for her life. I adore Katniss because she's not a Mary-Sue, others may disagree by saying she's annoying and indecisive, but I love her nonethless. She can fight for herself, and I think it's amazing how the arena truly makes her shine. I admit that the book started out pretty slow... but it picks up when the competition starts and a whole mess of tributes start dropping like flies.

This book is truly not for everyone, but it's definitely an eye opener because The Hunger Games is not a story about love or romance. It's a story about the harsh realities of war, death, poverty, and ultimately the strain in a totalitarianism government. I don't get why Hollywood is repeatedly saying that The Hunger Games will become another Twilight... when it's not. At all. How the hell can you compare the Mary-Sue Bella Swan to someone like Katniss Everdeen?! They're not even in the same category! If Bella was to be dropped in the arena? I'm pretty sure she wouldn't last. Hah, it's only my opinion though so.

As for the writing, the author does a pretty amazing job of keeping the story told through Katniss' eyes fast-paced and clear. Unlike other heroines, Katniss is completely dense when it comes to anything romantic. Which is why we have Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne for that. Oh, Peeta. And this is where the famous love triangle begins! It was quite understandable that for the first book in any series, not everything has to be explained and detailed. Well, for this book, that would have to be the romance. The Hunger Games overall, is a very action-based book, but there are also hints of a romance underway... and Catching Fire will be the one to continue it. Overall, I've read this book about two times and I seriously wouldn't mind reading it again. In fact, I'm actually planning to later on. Suzanne Collins has definitely made a name for herself and this is probably why a movie is in the making for this series! 5/5 stars!!

Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment