Thursday, February 10, 2011

Notorious Pleasures by Elizabeth Hoyt

After finishing the book up last night, I decided to give this book a 4 out of 5 stars instead of a 5. The reason as to why I did so was because even though Hero started out as a strong character, she sort of became paranoid and weak towards the end. The book was enjoyable, there's no doubt about that! I absolutely love the interactions between Hero and Griffin because their meeting was rather unique but very wonderful and meaningful as well. To me, I think that earing is a symbol of their relationship! But yeah, I think the main star of this book was actually Lord Griffin Reading... because he continuously broke my heart, and I'm pretty sure most of others, while Hero broke his. To sum it all up, Notorious Pleasures was much better than the first and I definitely recommend this one to any fan who loves historical romance with plenty of steam. I'll be looking forward to Silence and Mickey's story!

The Characters:
Lady Hero Batten is the heroine of the story as well as Lord Griffin Reading's main love interest and supposedly the Marquess of Mandeville's fiance. Griffin often referred to her as 'Lady Perfect' because to him, she was always in perfect order, elegant, and quite the opposite of himself. She sees perfection as a must at first, but Griffin obviously changes that for her and as a result she falls from her pedestal of perfection and finds herself not being able to piece back her former self any longer. I did like Hero as a heroine in the beginning, but towards the end, she reminded me of a character that I didn't like in another book. I had some issues with her because she did things with Griffin that she wasn't supposed to do, knew was wrong, but did it anyway. It was kind of like the situation in Lust by Charlette Featherstone. The decisions that she made made me want to hit my head against the wall because even though she did what she did to keep Griffin from harm, she still broke his heart either way.

Lord Griffin Reading, is the main hero of the story and also the devastating heartbreaker as well as the rake in this book! I didn't exactly have a good impression of him at first because like the ton, I judged him based on his actions alone. But underneath all that layer lies a person who is actually very caring towards his family and is capable of love-- even if he doesn't think so at first. When he first meets Hero, he dislikes her because of her perfect attitude, appearance, and believes her to be a perfect fit with his brother, Thomas the Marquess of Mandeville. Everything obviously changes when he realizes that there is more to Hero than what she claims to be, so he can't stop thinking about her! He soon falls head over heels in love with her but of course, there is still one major problem! She is his brother's fiance and there's a huge misunderstanding between Griffin and Thomas. Oh, I forgot to mention that Griffin actually has a rather big secret that almost ends ups killing him in the end. You'll have to read it to find out!

As for other characters, Silence Hollingbrook is going to be featured in the third book of this series, which is quite interesting to be honest. Her story with the river pirate, Mickey Charming O'Connor was previewed towards the end of this book, and I'm really interested to see her get her HEA in the end. As for the St. Ghost of Giles... I'm really curious about this character. He ends up saving Silence towards the end and I'm wondering if the author will ever reveal his identity. Thomas's character was rather annoying but I do think Hero's brother was interesting. I hope he gets his own story as well as Hero's sister, Phoebe.

The Romance:
Wow! If you've ever read an Elizabeth Hoyt book before, you should definitely know that her love scenes are steamy and erotic. Griffin had so much sex appeal that I knew Hero was going to be a goner in no time because like they say, opposites attract! But besides that, the romance between Hero and Griffin was heartbreaking. Unlike other books, I thought the role was actually reversed in this. Usually the hero almost ends up ruining everything but this time, it's the heroine. Thankfully, she realizes she loves Griffin in the end and that she wouldn't be able to live without him if he died.

* * * SPOILER ALERT * * *
"Do you love me Hero?" His pale green eyes were full of torment. "Do you love me like I love you?"

"I love you and I believe with all my heart that you love me as well. Why can't you say it, Hero?"
Two of my favorite quotes in the entire book by Griffin. Damn, he's such a heart breaker and argh, Hero! Why do you break your hero's heart?

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment