Roped follows the story of Peyton Turner and Radisson King—characters that were previously featured in
Branded. This is a direct sequel to that book. I had a lot of hopes for this book, but unfortunately it fell flat for me. I couldn't relate to the characters and found them to be lacking chemistry. There was plenty of sexual chemistry between them, but it was missing the most important factor for me which was the romance. Peyton's character came across as very childish, bratty, and naive. She actually reminded me of Isadora Holmes from
Oh, You're So Cold
but not as annoying. But the character I was most disappointed in was Rad. I thought I was going to get a sweet and silent yearner who was obsessed with his heroine, but what we got instead was an emotionally tortured stalker and kidnapper. Not quite what I wanted, but I did think he was a much better character than Arsen from
Branded
though.“If I'm yours, you are mine. Mine. You belong to me. Every part of you is mine, and even you don't get to take that away from me.”
In the end, while I ended up enjoying Peyton and Rad's story, I had a really difficult time finishing this book and will not be continuing this series. As someone who prefers scenes with active dialogue between the characters that actively move the story, this book was too descriptive of the character's physical attributes and repetitive for me. This actually pulled me out of the story and had me skimming instead. I really wanted to like Peyton and Rad's story, but found the revenge aspect a bit too ridiculous and unbelievable for me. I wanted there to be more development and actual romance between the characters instead of them having sex. The push/pull factor was missing for me, which is typically Saffron Kent's best plot device in her books. Nevertheless, if you are a fan of the stalker romance genre, I would consider readers give this book a try—especially if you liked the first book. I would not recommend starting Roped without first reading Branded since they are interconnected.
*This ARC was generously provided by Netgalley and the author for an honest review*
Rating: ★★★☆☆
No comments:
Post a Comment